Spirometry is a medical test that measures the volume of air an individual inhales or exhales as a function of time
- Easy to perform above age of 6 – 8 years
- Most informative, Very reproducible
- Technically challenging to do
- Diagnosing disease- Breathlessness, whistling sound heard from chest during episode of breathlessness, chest tightness, cough, sputum production
- To screen individuals at risk of having pulmonary diseases like current or ex smoker, individuals in occupations with exposures to injurious substances
- Monitoring progression or stability of disease in asthma, COPD, ILD, drug induced lung diseases.
- Evaluation of Disability or Impairment